Sunday, January 30, 2011



Last year, I found a few vintage Penguin Poets books at the ReUse Center in Ann Arbor. Since then I've been on the search for more editions from this series.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not collecting based on the fact that they are poetry editions, I mean poetry is great, but I'm more interested in the covers! Each cover is a different and unique pattern, and I'm in love with them!

I've only had luck finding one more issue at John K. King. So far I have A Book of English Poetry (D5), The Metaphysical Poet (D38), and Contemporary American Poetry (D67). 




Check out some great images from other Penguin Poet classics in this Flickr gallery. Penguin also has an amazing set of postcards featuring Penguin jackets from over the years.


I love this quote from Penguin founder Allen Lane: "good design is no more expensive than bad." Lane wanted his books to be cheap, and look distinctive. What a smart man!

No comments:

Post a Comment